The Family of Kemmis
Edition 3.3 - 5 June 2020
Kemmis of Croham Hurst
XXV. Henry Kemmis: 2nd. son of Thomas Kemmis (XXIV) of Shaen, by Anne his wife: born 19th. September 1776: of Robuck, Co. Dublin and of Durrow, King's Co. aforesaid, the former being conveyed by his father to Trustees 9th. June 1804 for his enjoyment upon his marriage: of 13 Merrion Square, City of Dublin: admitted to Grays Inn, 6th. November 1793 (96): B.A. of Trinity College Dublin, Midsummer 1795, M.A. November 1832: Barrister-at-law: Q.C.: Assistant Barrister for Co. Kildare and afterwards for Co. Dublin: Chairman of the Kilmainham Quarter Sessions for the Co. Dublin (97): a Bencher of the Honourable Society of King's Inns: a Vice-President of the Royal Dublin Society: was "Eblana civitatis arma": M.P. for Tralee 1797-1800 and voted for the Union: obiit 18th. March 1857: buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin, M.I.: married 11th. June 1804, Maria, daughter of Arthur Dawson Esq. of Castle Dawson, parish of Ballyscullion, Co. Londonderry and of the City of Dublin, M.P. for Newton 1775, for the Borough of Carlow 1777-83, for Middleton 1783 and 1798, for Banagher 1799-1800, sister of the Rt. Hon. Geo. Robt. Dawson, who was successively Under Secretary for the Home Department, Secretary to the Treasury and Secretary to the Admiralty; settlement dated 10th June 1804: (98) she died 27th. August 1849 and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, where she has a monument with Latin inscription. Issue,
- 1. Thomas Arthur.
- 2. Henry Richard: born 11th October 1811: of Newberry, parish of Coolock, Co. Dublin: of Robuck, Co. Dublin aforesaid: B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, Midsummer 1833: Barrister-at-law: died 3rd. November 1901 at Bath: married 5th. October 1848, Laura Charlotte, daughter of Arthur Male Esq. of Bellevue Co. Stafford, Barrister-at-law, she died 2nd. November 1862 and was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery: M.I.: issue,
- (a) Jasper Henry, born 1855, married and has issue,
- (b) Edward Robert, born 1857,
- (c) Mary Farncis, born August 1849, married 1886,
- (d) Alice Louisa, born 1851, married 1st. 5th. May 1870 Rev. Wm. H. Walker of Nacton Rectory, Norfolk, and 2nd. ..... Smythe Esq.
- (e) Helen Laura, born 1852, married 19th. July 1871, Wm. Kennedy Esq. of Newberry, Artane, Dublin:
- (f) Isabel, born 1854,
- (g) Maude Susan, born 1859.
- XXVI. Thomas Arthur Kemmis: Born 16th. March 1806: educated at Eton; matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, 15th. April 1825: of Croham Hurst, Croydon, Surrey, by purchase,: of Durrow King's Co. Aforesaid: Lieutenant and Captain in H.M. Regiment of Grenadier Guards: Captain half pay unattached 9th. December 1830: J.P. for Co. Surrey: M.P. for East Looe, 1831: died at Croham Hurst, 25th. December 1858: buried at Sanderstead, Surrey: M.I.: Married 14th. September 1833 at Goathurst (99) Henrietta Ann, daughter of Colonel Charles Kemeys-Tynte, (see Kemeys of Cefn-Mably) of Halswell, parish of Halswell, Co. Sumerset, of Cefn-Mably, parish of Michaelston-y-Vedw, Cos. Glamorgan and Monmouth, and of Burhill, parish of Walton-upon-Thames, Surrey, J.P. and D.L. for Cos. Somerset, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Surrey, High Sheriff for Co. Somerset 1800, M.P. for Bridgewater 1820-37, F.S.A., adjudged one of the heirs of the Barony of Wharton; she died March 1880. Father of, .....
- XXV. Arthur Henry Nicholas Kemmis: born 13th. July 1834: of Croham Hurst, Surrey, and of Durrow, King's Co. aforesaid: matriculated at Merton College, Oxford, 2nd. June 1853: Lieutenant 1st. Somerset Militia 20th. September 1854, Captain 13th. April 1861: J.P. for Surrey in 1860 and J.P. and High Sheriff for King's Co. 1862: D.L.: married 1862, Emma Jane, daughter of ..... Collins Esq.
Footnotes to Kemmis of Croham Hurst
- (96) Foster's Register of Admissions to Gray's Inn.
- (97) At a salary of #1,200 per annum.
- (98) Mentioned in an Indenture 15th. December 1823, between the Rt. Hon. Robt. Peel, Secretary of State, Henry Kemmis, Etc.
- (99) Vide "The Genealogist", Vol. II., New Series, p. 50.
Beginning of Document
Table of Contents
Kemeys of Yankalilla
Kemmis of Killeen
John L. & Irene Kemmis