The Family of Kemmis
Edition 3.3 - 5 June 2020
Kemmis of Shaen
The Manor of Shaen, formerly also known as Syan, lies in the parishes of Straboe and Coolbanagher, Queen's Co., and is situated some four miles north of the town of Maryborough. In 1571, Queen Elizabeth granted Shaen, together with Killeen and other lands, to John Whittney in tail male; and on 23rd May 1640 Charles I by letters patent granted the Manor of Shaen to his descendant Robert Whitney. From the Whitney family these lands appear to have passed to the Byrne's (alias Leycester's), as in 1755 they sold "all the Several Manors or lordships of Shaen, Tymogue and Kilmurry" to John Petty, Earl of Shelburne. Shaen remained in this nobleman's family until 1801, when the Marquis of Lansdown sold the Manor to Cornelius, Lord Lismore. Between 1731 and 1738 Thomas Kemmis obtained a lease - probably for 21 years - of a portion of the lands of Shaen. Prior to 1744 he held in addition 290 acres in Killeen, also by lease. He resided at Shaen until 1757, when he removed to Killeen - apparently in consequence of his lease of the former lands having expired, since the next year C. H. Coote Esq. obtained a lease of Shaen demesne, 688 acres, for three lives. At the sale of the freehold of these lands in 1801 C. H. Coote Esq. is mentioned as holding Shaen demesne at a rent of £321. 0. 0., also Straboe and Derrygarron, 560 acres, at £234. 0. 0. per annum: Thomas Kemmis Esq. Kilmainham and Killeen, 544 acres plantation measure, at a rent of £226.0.0. by lease of three lives from 1757, and John Kemmis Esq. 184 acres in Eyne, at a rent of £115.9.4. by lease for 21 years from 1794. It is also stated that the Manor of Shaen was entitled to an unlimited right of Commonage over the great Heath of Maryborough, and that the then house of Shaen was a substantial building erected by the late Dean Coote, whilst there were also good family houses with proper offices upon Strabo, Killeen, and Ballydavis, occupied by John Kemmis Esq., Captain Warburton and Mr. Fitzgerald.
On 10th February 1808 Thomas Kemmis, third son of Thomas Kemmis previously referred to, purchased from Lord Lismore "The fee simple and inheritance of the Castle, Manor, towns and lands of Shaen, alias Syan, alias Shrin, in the Queen's Co.," together with its several sub-denominations and an unlimited right of commonage belonging to the said Manor on the lands called the Great Heath adjoining thereto, with all right etc: belonging to the said Castle and Manor etc. Among the sub-denominations referred to arr Kilmainham, Killeen, Eyne, Shaen demesne and wood, Straboe, Ballydavis, etc.
Little now remains of the ancient Castle save a few remains which mark where it stood upon an eminence near the present mansion. From an engraving dated 1779 it appears to have been at that date a square keep with a more modern building attached to it. It was used as a residence by Thomas Kemmis Senior until he remove to Killeen in 1757, but probably its place was then taken by the new house which, as already mentioned, Dean Coote built during his tenancy, and which was situated at the foot of the Castle hill. Between 1811 and 1827 the Rev. Thomas Kemmis erected the present mansion upon the site of Dean Coote's house, a portion of which he incorporated in the building; his father having about 1810 built the wall around the demesne.
The ruins of an ancient church - within which is a family place of burial - are to be seen at Straboe. The house a Straboe, previously referred to, was removed by the present owner of Shaen.
- XXI. Lewis Kemeys: second son of Edward Kemeys (XX) of Bertholey by Margaret his wife: born prior to 1659. Migrated to Ireland, settling in the vicinity of Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford; in which county his uncle Nicholas Kemeys was already established (see Kemeys of Ferns). He appears to have been a free burgess of the borough of Enniscorthy, and in 1700-1, Portreive of that town. In virtue of this office he was a magistrate within the borough and its liberties and paid his fee as such on 25th October 1700 (60). Subsequently J.P. for the county, his warrent, as "Lewis Keymes Esq.", being dated 16th December 1702 (#fn60a). Appear to have died before April 1703 as his name does not occur in a Roll of Co. Wexford magistrates commencing shortly before that date. He is referred to in the will of his nephew Edward Kemeys (XXII) of Bertholey, dated 1st February 1729, as then dead and as being the father of Nicholas his eldest and a second, third or more sons whose names are not mentioned. Probably married a lady of the family of Nevill of Nevills Court, 13 miles north of Enniscorthy, which family bore "barry of 4 arg. and as., on a chief gules a saltire of the first." Issue.
- 1. Nicholas.
- 2. Nevill; attorney in the Court of Exchequer, Dublin in 1724; executor to the will of Lewis Kemeys (XXII) of Co. Kildare (see which branch) dated 9th August 1724, in which he is described as "Mr. Nevill Kemeys"; renounced his executorship 25th November 1731: died between this date and 15th November 1732. His name does not occur in a list (61) of barristers, attorneys and solicitors who took the oath in Dublin under the Solicitor's Act. 1734. Married Mary, daughter of ......: she obtained on 15th November 1732, as "Mary Kemeys of the City of Dublin, widow" a lease of a new dwelling-house, situate on the north side of St. Cecilia Street between Temple Lane and Crow Street in the parish of St. Andrews Dublin, from John Browne, merchant of Dublin; and as "Mrs. Kemmyes" was rated at £10 in 1734 for tithes thereon; on 26th December 1740 she assigned (62) this lease to John Tuckey, surgeon, for £20.
- 3. William: appears to have been connected with the Kerry iron mines of his cousin Nicholas Kemeys (XXI), (see Kemeys of Ferns) and to have settled in Kerry: on 31st August 1734 as "Wiliam Kemmiss, farmer of Tralee," together with his wife Elizabeth, mortgaged a tenement in the town of Tralee to Theophilus Morris, which they held of John Lovel Esq. for 999 years at a rent of 40s: on 9th November following Morris obtained an Exchequer judgement against William and his wife for £72. "William Kemis" appears as plaintiff and defendant in suits in Tralee borough court in 1731 and 1734, and also upon a jury panel in that town. Married Elizabeth, daughter of ...... Styles of Tralee, and had issue John Kemmiss and Richard Kemmiss who each registered their freeholds lying in Tralee on 3rd November 1781. A descendant of this branch died without issue in County Mayo at commencement of the last century. (62a)
- XXII. Nicholas Kemeys: obtained a Commission bearing date 28th August 1708, as Ensign in Colonel Edward Jones' Regiment of Foot (63) (Captain Thomas White's Company), which was raised in Ireland in 1708, being put upon the full pay list 25th December of that year (64). The Regiment was stationed at Waterford, Wexford, and Duncannon Fort, Captain Thomas White being employed in Dublin to forward recruits. Ensign Nicholas Kemeys obtained three months leave of absence on 9th June 1709 to go to Great Britain on his own affairs, and again on 13th September 1709 the Regiment was ordered to Dublin. Ensign Kemeys was again returned as absent in the early part of 1710, but was with his Regiment on 31st March or 30th June of the same year and until 13th January 1711, when the Regiment was embarked from Ireland for active service in Spain (64a). 10th February 1711, promoted Lieutenant: in 1713 on the conclusion of the war the Regiment was invalidated home to England and disbanded, the officers being put upon half pay from the previous year; in a list of half pay officers dated 1714 Lieutenant Nicholas Kemis is mentioned among the officers of this Regiment; 27th September 1715 the officers of the Regiment were gazetted to garrison duty, but on 24th June 1717 they were put upon half pay indefinitely; Nicholas Kemeys' name appearing as a Lieutenant in regimental half pay lists of 1717 and of 1722, but not in a later one of 1739; he would appear to have inherited his father's property in Co. Wexford and to have died before 1735; married prior to 1710 ....... daughter of .......: father of,
- XXIII. Thomas Kemmis: born 1710. Removed to Queen's Co. on coming of age and finally settled at Shaen. (65) Of Ballymanus, parish of Stradbally, containing 106 acres, by lease dated 7th January 1735 at a yearly rent of £35.13.0. as mentioned in an Exchequer suit in 1738. (65a); he is described in this suit as "Thomas Kemmis of Shane, Queen's Co., Gent." Admitted a freeman of the borough of Maryborough 8th March 1739 and on 29th March following signed the usual declaration and oath for this purpose as "Thomas Kemmis." (65b) Of the lands of Rossnaclonagh and Monabegg (vide infra) by lease (66) dated 28th January 1743, "as he then held them" for his own life and the lives of Abraham, son of John Pim of Lackagh, Gent., and George, son of John Long of Derrynaseera, Gent. Of Shaen, parish of Straboe, Queen's Co. containing 653 acres 2 roods 23 perches, by lease jointly with Messrs. Naslam and King, at a yearly rent of £277.1s.9d. from Sir John Byrne, Bart. of Tymogue, Queen's Co. as recited in a deed dated 24th and 25th July 1755 of Sir Peter Leycester, formerly Byrne, Bart., son of Sir John Byrne, conveying Shaen, etc., to John, Earl of Shelburne. Of Killeenlinagh, otherwise Killeen, prior to March 1744 (67) to which he removed from Shaen Castle in 1757 (68), containing 290 acres 0 rood 10 perches, and Kilmainham containing 254 acres 1 rood 20 perches, in all 544 acres 1 rood and 30 perches, situate in the parish of Coolbanagher, Queen's Co., prior to 7th December 1756 by lease, then by a new lease for three lives, namely his own and those of his sons James and Thomas, from the Right Honourable John Petty, Earl of Shelburne, subject to a yearly rent of £226 for the first 5 years of the term and then at £276; of Rossnaclonagh and Monabeg, parish of Offerlane, Queen's Co. containing 245 acres by a second lease dated 8th February 1759, for three lives renewable for ever from Bartholomew Gilbert and William Gilbert, both of Kilminchy, Queen's Co. at a yearly rent of £60, and "a fatt hogg or 20s. in lieu thereof" and a fine of £30 on renewal of each life: of Clonin containing 160 acres (?Irish) previous to 24th May 1764 (69) by agreement from Bartholomew Wm. Gilbert and Wm. Gilbert aforesaid and then by lease from Jane Gilbert and Susannah Gilbert, alias Simms, for three lives, namely his own and those of his sons Thomas and William, and 61 years after the death of the survivor (70), subject to a yearly rent of £68: of Colman's Curragh, parish of Offerlane, Queen's Co. by lease from Wm. Hornby. Died 16th July 1774, aet. 64 (71); buried in the old churchyard Maryborough, Queen's Co. M.I. Will dated 17th June 1774, and proved in Dublin, 9th August following, under which he left to his wife Susannah for her life £30 out of the lands of Rossnaclonagh, which were bequeathed to his eldest son John, confirmed to her £20 a year given her under her marriage settlement out of the lands of Killeenlinagh and left her 20 guineas for mouning, his one horse chair with his best chair horse, also his plate, linen and furniture; to his youngest son William, he left his interest in Clonin, to his son James £300 and his interest in Kilmainham, £800 to his son Joshua and £10 to his son Thomas for mourning, having already provided for him upon his marriage: married Susannah, daughter of John Long Esq. of Derrynaseera (72) parish of Offerlane, Queen's Co., who bore "Arg. a lion Rampant sa. armed and langued gu., between five crosses crosslet of the second a border of the third." Crest, "out of a ducal coronet or, a lion ramp. sa., armed and langued gu." Settlement dated 1744, and Marriage license bond(72a) dated 27th March 1744, in which he is styled "Thomas Kemmis of Rosneclone in Queen's Co. Gent." She died 12th August 1804, aet. 78 (73) and was buried with her husband on 22nd : M.I.
Penciled insert on opposite page 106
Thomas Kemmis of Shaen, Queen's County, described as gentleman, admitted a freeman of the bourough of Maryborogh 8/3/1879 (?1779)
Wife Susannah, daughter John Long Esq. Queen's county, died 12 August 1804
1. John, born 6 July 1747 of Shaen
2. James Born 1st Jan. 1751 of Kilmainham
4. Joshua, born 9th February 1755, of Knightstown
5. William Edward born 4th March 1758
6. Elizabeth, born 18th July 1763, died young
- 1. John, born 6th July 1747: of Shaen, part of which, adjoining Killeenlinagh he was holding in August 1776, probably the same portion as his father had, part, probably including Straboe, he held by lease from Lord Castlecoote, who held from the Earl of Shelburne (created Marquis of Lansdowne 1784), and part known as Eyne, containing 184 acres 3 roods 9 poles he held by lease from the Marquis of Lansdowne commencing may 1794 for a term of 21 years at a rent of £119.9s.4d.; of Rossnaclonagh and Monabeg aforesaid; of Castle Street, Dublin: Treasurer of the Queen's Co.: obiit January 1809; buried at Maryborough in the old churchyard on the 9th of that month. Will date 12th July 1805, and proved in Dublin, 2nd February 1809; married 7th August 1775, at Raheen, Margaret eldest daughter of Charles White Esq. of Aghavoe, Queen's Co., and sister of Charles White Esq. of Raheen, parish of Clonagh, Queen's Co., marriage articles dated 21st July, whereby £1,000 was given as Margaret's marriage portion and £60 a year secured to her on the lands of Rossnaclonagh in case she survived her husband, she died April 1827, Aet. 72, and was buried beside her husband, on 18th of that month: father of
- (a) Charles, born 1778, of Rossnaclonagh, obiit s.p. 2nd December 1837, and buried 4th December in Maryborough old churchyard; administration in Dublin, 4th January 1838.
- (b.)Thomas, born 1787, of Straboe House and on the death of his brother of Rossnaclonagh, B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, Midsummer 1808, M.A., November 1832, Clerk in Holy Orders; obiit s.p., 30th May 1839, and buried at Straboe on 1st June, M.I.; Will dated 25th February 1837, administration 15th June, 1839.
- (c)Elizabeth, married at Maryborough Church by license, 11th July 1812, Richard Giles Esq.
- (d)Mary, born 1791, obitt, May 1826, buried 13th May in Maryborough old churchyard.
- (e)Susannah, of Rossnaclonagh on her brother Thomas's death, married in
1841, Martin McDonald Esq.; living a widow, 1857.
- 2. James, born 1st January 1751; of Kilmainham aforesaid, his interest in which he sold to his brother Thomas for £370 and an annuity of £50, 15th February 1775: purchased an Ensignacy in H.M. 9th Regiment of Foot, with a portion of the legacy left him by his father, 1775: embarked for Quebec, 1776; taken prisoner by the rebel colonists, 1777, but exchanged together with several other officers of the 9th in 1781; purchased his Lieutenancy 1778; purchased his Captaincy in 9th Regiment 1784, with the remainder of his legacy and with part of the sum paid him by his brother Thomas as annuity out of Kilmainham; placed upon half pay and residing in Dublin 1790, serving in the war with Holland in 1793, where he obtained promotion to rank of Major; on the recruiting service at Bristol 1795; returned from active service in Jamaica in 1799 as Lieut. Colonel of 2nd battalion 40th Foot, having received public thanks for his conduct at San Domingo; the same year again on active service in Holland; served in the Mediterranean 1800, and whilst at Malta had his portrait painted by an Italian artist, Gatano de Calleja (75); returned to England 1803 and in 1804 on half pay at Hastings; served in Ireland 1807; Colonel of H.M. 40th Regiment of Foot (76); mentioned in Lord Wellesley's dispatches from Vimera of 21st August 1808 (77); promoted to Brigadier General (78); mentioned in dispatches 10th May 1811 as leading the British Brigade which repulsed an attack on the batteries before Fort Christoval, Badajos: promoted Major General 4th June 1811; in Ireland at Boyle 1812-1814, at Tullamore on the Staff 1814-1818. Obtained a medal with one clasp for "Roliga and Vimiera, Talavera" (79); obiit 2nd April 1820 s.p. at Cheltenham, and buried there in St. Mary's churchyard; M.I. upon a flat tombstone over a vault in the churchyard; Will dated 7th January 1815, codicil 30th March 1820 and proved in London, 29th April following. Married...... d. of ...... "a gentleman received in the best society he had met in England and who was known and respected in Hastings;" she died at Southampton 1810, while her husband was in Portugal (80).
- 3. Thomas.
- 4. Joshua, born 9th February 1775; of Knightstown, parish of Coolbanagher, Queen's Co., by purchase (? from his brother Thomas): Captain in the Queen's Co. Militia 1793 Commissioner of Ireland Navigation; J.P. for Queen's Co. 1794, High Sheriff for the same Co. 1795; died August 1818 at Calbridge, Co. Dublin, leaving his son a minor; buried in the old churchyard Maryborough on 18th August; married Catherine, oldest daughter of Thomas Smyth of Sackville Street, Dublin, D.D. of Trinity College, Cambridge, Archdeacon of Lismore, Prebendary of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin and first cousin to John Smyth, Viscount Gort; marriage license and settlement dated 5th. December 1807, the latter registered in the Consistorial Court, Dublin, by it her marriage portion was £2,000 and she had settled upon her, in the event of her surviving her husband £300 a year out of Knightstown, namely "out of the lands of Ballinredry, Larangle and part of Danganstown, 81 acres 3 roods 6 poles, Barony of Portnahinch, and lands of Ballinakill being part of Castle Fleming 111 acres, and part of Ballymullen adjoining 9 acres 3 roods, Barony of Upper Ossory," she died 31st. December 1857, and was buried at St. Thomas's Church, Dublin. Issue.
- (a) Joshua Smyth, born 1808: of Knightstown, the yearly rents of which, with Ballinakill, when he was a minor, were £514.16s. 8d. of which Mrs. Catherine Kemmis of Knightstown paid £185 and out of which there was a head rent of £40.16s. 7d. a year paid to the Earl of Pottarlington; became insane; obiit s.p., 17th. June 1843; buried at Straboe 19th of same month; M.I.; administration at Dublin, 4th. November 1843.
- (b) Alicia, born 10th. January 1810; married 17th. May 1835, Rev. Gustavus Warner, M.A. of queen's College, Cambridge, and Trinity College, Dublin, Rector of Castlelost, Co. Westmeath, living 1870, who bore "or, a bettany leaf ppr."
- (c) Catherine Henrietta, born 1812; married March 1828, Rev. Wm. Betty, M.A. (81) of Trinity College, Dublin, of Tutland Square, Dublin, and of Knightstown aforesaid, which he purchased in Chancery on his brother-in-law's death, Rector of Castlecor, otherwise Kilbride, near Oldcastle, Co. Meath; he died in Paris, 19th July 1851, and was buried at Pere la Chaise, M.I.
- (d) Mary, died young.
- 5. William Edward, born 4th. March 1758: described as of Knightstown in 1798 and 1802, part of which he was then probably holding as tenant: of Clonin aforesaid, devised to him by his father: of Clopoke and Tomaclonin, parish of Tallowmoy, Queen's Co. by purchase from Joseph Green, 17th December 1809; purchased 11th March 1779 for £210 from George Despard of Donore, Queen's Co. lands commonly called Poles Cranna and that part of the lands of Clonin adjoining Thady Keenin's Quarter and so the high road over the hill of Clonin, 241 acres 2 roods 6 poles in the Barony of Ossory, Queen's Co. for the life of George Despard being the surviving life named in the lease thereof, subject to the yearly rent of £54. 2s. 3d. with 4 cwts of good bar iron or in lieu thereof £4; also the original lease thereof from Bartholomew Wm. Gilbert to Rd., Despard formerly of Cranna, Geo. Despard covenanting that there was a profit yearly rent of £35. 14s. 6d. thereout over and above the Head rent aforesaid: 19th. October 1802, obtained from his brother Thomas a lease of that part of the townland of Clonin commonly called Poles Crannagh and Ballyhooraghan for the life of his said brother at a rent of £90; in 1825 he held these lands described as "Crana, i.e. Poles Crana and lands thereunto belonging" by lease of three lives from the Earl of Cavan and Gilbert Fitzgerald: held Killeen and Kilmainham from his brother Thomas and after the death of the latter from his nephew William son of his said brother at a rent of £538. 15s. 10d.: Treasurer of the Queen's Co.; obiit s.p., 7th November 1848; buried at Straboe on 11th. of that month; M.I. on his tombstone and also upon a mural tablet in Maryborough Church; Will dated September 1843, codicil 3rd. September 1847, and proved in Dublin, 28th. November 1848.
- 6. Elizabeth, born 18th. July 1763; died young.
- XXIV. Thomas Kemmis. (82) born 4th. May 1753 at Shaen Castle; of the City of Dublin, in 1774 of Jervis Street, St. Mary's parish, in 1781 of Mary Street, purchasing in 1779 a lease for 70 years of his house there (82a) from James Hamilton Esq., subject to a yearly rent of £40, at a cost of, including rebuilding, upwards of £600 and 14th. October 1788 sold to Wm. Long the unexpired portion of the said lease for £400 subject to the aforesaid rent; in December 1787 of 40 (subsequently 45) Kildare Street, formerly Coote Street, purchased from the Executors of the Rt. Hon Sentleger, Viscount Doneraile, breadth in front 40 feet, in rear 42 feet and depth 220 feet, for the sum of £2,000 subject to a yearly rent of £9: of Killeen and Kilmainham aforesaid, the former settled upon him on his marriage subject to an annuity of £20 to his mother in the event of her surviving his father, the latter purchased as before mentioned from his brother James subject to an annuity to him of £50, all these lands in October 1781, he was holding by lease of three lives from Lord Shelburne, two, to wit those of himself and his brother James then in being, subsequently in 1808 he purchased them as part of the lands of Shaen: of the lands of Longford ? Queen's Co. in 1781, purchased from Stephen Cassan, Esq., subject to a mortgage of £1,000 to Geo. Molesworth, their profit value being £142 a year: of lands of Clonin, called Poles Cranna, in 1781 by lease from Mrs. Gilbert for his own life and 61 years after, subject to £58 yearly rent; of the lands of Ballyadine, ? Queen's Co. purchased from the representatives of Mr. Adair, being a lease of 31 years of which 7 years were to run 1st. May 1781, subject to a yearly rent of £17. 12s., 14th. March 1780 described as of Knightstown, Queen's Co., of a plot of ground and houses in the town of Portarlington in 1781, purchased from the Executors of Lord Carlow, by lease for 3 lives renewable for ever on payment of half a year's rent, subject to a yearly rent of 10s., of lands of Clonin on the north side of the hill, called German's Quarter, 44 acres 3 roods 20 poles by lease dated 8th January 1782 from Jane Gilbert, in pursuance of a former agreement for 3 lives renewable for ever subject to a yearly rent of £28: of Robuck, parish of Taney, Co. Dublin, by lease from Thomas, Lord Trimlestown, 4th. March 1783, having 27 acres at a rent of £81.17s. for three lives for 41 years, enlarged in 1788 to 99 years and in 1798 the rent reduced from £3 to £1 per acre and 41 years in reversion added; in October 1799 he obtained 200 acres more, including the house and demesne (50 acres) surrounded by a wall, for three lives or 400 years at a rent of £311 a year and £4,730 consideration money: of the lands of Derry, Meelick, Lackanmore, Derry-Killeen and Birchwood, Barony of Tinnahinch, Queen's Co. by purchase 26th. May 1795 from Edward Dune, Esq., of Brittas, Queen's Co., for £13,608. 3s. 4d.: of Brockley Park, parish of Stradbally, Queen's Co., with lands of Kilebegg and Garrow, containing 207 acres 2 roods 25 poles by purchase, 15th. March 1802 from the Earl of Roden for £4,000 subject to a yearly rent of £299. 16s. 6d.: of the town and lands of Ballinerin, Rakeenmore, Blackditch and Knakarock, Barony of Arklow and also of the town and lands of Ballynacor, Ballynanty, Ballyshane, Lower Ballycreen, Upper Ballycreen, Moneymore, Fananerring, Drumkitt and Drumgoff in the Barony of Ballynacor, Co. Wicklow, purchased 4th. April 1805 from the Right Honourable Francis Rawdon Hastings, Earl of Moira, and John Wedgewood, Esq. of Cole House, Co. Gloucester, (83) for £40,000 subject to crown and quit rents and to provision made by settlement 5th. March 1793 of £5,000 for and only child of John Teeophilus Rawdon: of Shaen, Queen's Co. by purchase 12th. February 1808 from Cornelius, Viscount Lismore,
containing in all 3,091 acres 1 rood 9 perches, namely Kilmainham and Killeen 544 acres 1 rood 12 perches in his own occupation under lease as aforesaid, Eyne 184 acres 3 roods 9 perches in the occupation of his brother John as aforesaid, Shaen demesne and Shaen wood 688 acres 1 rood 3 perches (84) and Straboe with derrygarron 560 acres 2 roods 18 perches all in the occupation of C. H. Coote under a lease for three lives from March 1758 and March 1769: the rental of the whole £1763. 1s. 5d.: of Corrigin, parish of Kilteague, Queen's Co., containing 100 acres, together with the lands of Ballymaddock 17 acres 3 rood 2 perches held by Denis Wheland, by purchase in 1814 from the Right Honourable Henry Grattan, previously held by lease dated 1785 for three lives renewable for ever at a rent of £40 yearly: of Derrynaseera, Offerlane, Queen's Co. in 1820, for which he paid a yearly rent to ... Despard, Esq. of £56. 11s. and which he let to Wm. Long his cousin at a yearly rent of £208. 3s. 3d.: of Durrow, King's Co. by purchase: of Corballis, Queen's Co. by purchase from the assigns of Charles Hoskins, a small property not exceeding £500 value: of Ballyadams Castle, parish of Ballyadams, Queen's County: also at the time of his death of Mount Sackville, parish of Castle Knock, Co. Dublin, partly leasehold and partly freehold, the lease of which expired July 1832 (85) and the interest in the unexpired portion was sold to J. Hawkins Esq. for £2,500; of Gellingstown, Co. Dublin, by lease which expired 1st. May 1823, the interest whereof was sold to Jas. Mayne Esq. for £973. 12s. 1d. and of Tenniscourt, Co. Carlow by lease which expired 1st. September 1823, the interest of which was sold to John Burne Esq. for £2,770. 5s. 9d.: patron of the living of Oregan, Queen's Co. 1816: appointed February 1784 with Nicholas Morrison Esq., barrister-at-law, Solicitor to the Crown in all criminal cases in Ireland, but by agreement dated 26th. January 1784 with the said Nicholas Morrison he was to have the whole conduct and profits of the business in consideration of paying the latter the sum of £1,350; he attended one circuit and employed solicitors to act for him on the other five, in 1802 the Government appointed independent solicitors for each circuit when he and his son William were made Crown Solicitors for the Leinster circuit and for the Co. and City of Dublin: Solicitor to the Treasury and Deputy Keeper of the Seals of the Chancellor of the Exchequer in Ireland, as such conducting all business of a Civil nature in which the Crown was interested, except when the business belonged to Departments to which Solicitors were attached, such as Customs, Excise, etc.: 31st. March 1806 Solicitor to the Civil and Military Departments of the Ordnance in Ireland: Solicitor to the Board of First Fruits: J. P. for Queen's Co., 1780: 1801 bought two seats in Parliament at great expense: granted 7th. May 1811, the fairs, etc. at Ballinacor, Co. Wicklow and 18th. July following fairs etc. at Beechwood, Queen's Co. (86), obiit 23rd. January 1823 at Kildare Street, and buried with his wife at Maryborough on 8th. February: M. I. : Will Dated 8th June 1820, and proved in Dublin, 6th. February 1823: married Anne (87), second daughter of Henry White Esq. of River Lyons, (? Co. Dublin) and of the City of Dublin, who bore "arg., a chevron between 3 roses gu. seeded and barbed ppr.," Attorney-at-law and 23rd. November 1772 Deputy to Francis Palmer, who was Secretary to the Board of Officers; settlement and license dated 3rd. August 1773, the former registered in the Consistorial Court of Dublin, she died 29th. July 1810 (88) aet. 52, and was buried at Maryborough on 10th. August, M. I. Issue.
- 1. Thomas.
- 2. Henry: whence Kemmis of Croham Hurst. (see which branch)
- 3. William: whence Kemmis of Killeen and Kemmis of Ballinacor. (see which branches)
- 4. James, born 9th. March 1791; educated at Harrow; of Derry, Meelick, etc., aforesaid: of Choisy near Paris; matriculated at Trinity College, Oxford, 17th. October 1810 (89); B.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, 1815, and M.A. 1833 (90): died at Paris, July 1840, s.p.; buried at Père la Chaise: M. I.: Will proved by his widow, 11th. August 1840: married at Paris in 1818, Mary Alice, daughter of George Losh Esq. of Chatlet near Rouen and priviously of Newcastle, Co. Northumberland, who bore, "Or, a boar's head erased gu". Issue, a daughter Catherine.
- 5. Richard, born 1st. March 1787; died an infant.
- 6. Anne, born 12th. October 1775; married 15th May 1800 Richard Warburton Esq. of Garryhinch, parishes of Cloneyhurke and Geashill, Queen's Co. and Kings Co. respectively, J. P. and D. L. for both Cos., High Sheriff for Queen's Co. 1801, who died 15th July 1853 aet. 76, and was buried at Cloneyhurke, M.I.: she died 29th August 1852 at Nice and was buried there, M.I.
- 7. Susannah, born 30th April 1779; married 21st. December 1802, William Tabot Esq. of Mount Talbot, parish of Tessaragh, Co. Roscommon, J.P., D.L., and in 1809 High Sheriff for that Co., J.P. for Co. Galway, who died 19th May 1851, aet. 76, s.p. and was buried at Tessaragh: she died 30th. August 1813, and 4th September following was buried at Tessaragh.
- 8. Mary, born 2nd October 1782; married first, 14th February 1801, Sir Arthur Garden, Bart. of the Priory, Templemore, Co. Tipperary, Captain in H.M. 4th Dragoon Guards 1st. June 1798, High Sheriff for Co. Tipperary 1820, who died 4th. May 1822, s.p. and was buried in the old churchyard Templemore; second, on 15th December 1823, Joseph Smith of Mount Butler, parish of Corbally, Co. Tipperary, Captain in H.M. 26th. Regiment of Foot, J.P. for Co. Tipperary, who died 24th. July 1842, aet. 59, s.p.; and was buried on 27th July at Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, M.I.: of Mount Butler after her second husband's death, where she died 20th. June 1857: Will dated 11th April 1857, and proved 7th July following.
- 9. Elizabeth, born 9th. August 1789; died an infant.
- XXV. Thomas Kemmis, born 10th. August 1774: of Shaen, Straboe, Ballyadams Castle, and Brockley Park aforesaid: patron of Oregan aforesaid; matriculated 20th. November 1794 at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford as a grand-compounder: B.A. 7th December 1797 (91): J.P. for Queen's and King's Cos. 11th April 1805: Clerk in Holy Orders, being ordained a deacon in the Chapel of Dublin Castle on Sunday 22nd. May 1796 by the Lord Bishop of Cork. Admitted in 1800 Vicar of the Vicarages of Tercoyle, Ballyboy, Killahey, Tennegrosse, Eglish and Drumcullen and the chapels of Linalley and Rahan, Diocese of Meath, of the yearly value of about £1,000, united together, having four churches served by him and his curates: also afterwards admitted to the vicarages of Kells, Earlstown, Ballytobin, Mallardstown, Killfree, Stamacarty, and Anamolt, Diocese of Ossory, of the yearly value of about £300, united into one church served by a resident curate: erected the present house at Shaen to which he removed from Brockley Park: obiit 4th. October 1827 at Liverpool and buried at Maryborough, 9th. October: M.I. Will dated 23rd. August 1827 and proved in Dublin 31st. May 1828: married 4th. November 1797, Mary, only daughter and heiress of Arthur Rikey Esq. of Ayrefield (now Somerton), parish of Castle Knock Co. Dublin, and of Chamber Street, City of Dublin, and .... Co. Wexford, by his wife Rachel, daughter of .... Bradley: settlement dated 2nd November 1797: she died 8th September 1812, aet. 33 and was buried at Clonsilla, Castle Knock, Co. Dublin, M.I. Issue.
- 1. Thomas.
- 2. Arthur, whence Kemmis of Port Philip, Melbourne, Victoria. (see which branch)
- 3. Henry, whence Kemmis of Yankalilla, South Australia. (see which branch)
- 4. Mary, born 5th. December 1809; married 1st. January 1828, Charles Hogan Esq. of Charlton, Robuck. Co. Dublin, and of 12 Westburne Square, London, M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, Attorney-at-law, one of the former six clerks in Chancery and Clerk of the Affidavits in Chancery, which latter appointment he resigned 20th. October 1836.
- XXVI. Thomas Kemmis, born 1788 (1798?) of Shaen, Straboe, and Ballyadams aforesaid; patron of Oregan aforesaid: matriculated at Christ Church College, Oxford, 16th. June 1817; B.A. of St. Alban's Hall, Oxford 3rd. March 1821 (92): J.P. for Queen's Co. and in 1832 High Sheriff for same Co.: died September 1844 and buried at Straboe on 10th of that month; M.I.: married 18th. August 1834, Mary Henrietta, daughter of Rev. Robert Blackwood Jelly, M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, Incumbent of St. Paul's, Portarlington, Queen's Co., perpetual Curate of Cloneyhurke, who bore "Erm. a chevron sa." she married second, on 28th August 1856, Sir Henry Marsh, Bart. of 9 Merrion Square, Dublin, M.D., M.R.I.A., Physician in Ordinary to the Queen of Ireland, whom she survived, dying 30th. July 1889. Issue.
- 1. Thomas.
- 2. Robert, born 1839: midshipman R.N.: obiit June 1862.
- 3. William, born 1840: Ensign in H. M. 84th. Regiment of Foot 30th. December 1858, Lieutenant 1862, retired 1865: of Las Rosas, Buenos Ayres, Argentine Republic, South America: died at Ealing, 17th. June 1900; married 28th October 1876 at Christchurch, Dunse, Anita Loretta, daughter of Wilfred Latham Esq.of Los Alamos, Buenos Ayres: Issue,
- 1. a son Arthur William Marsh, born 1881: Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 19th. January 1900.
- 4. Arthur, born November 1842: Lieutenant in H. M. 15th. Regiment of Foot 8th. September 1863: died 18th 1881, s.p.; married .... daughter and co-heiress of .... O'Reilly Esq. of .... Co. Meath.
- 5. Jane, born 1839: obiit February 1857; buried at Straboe on 11th of same month: M.I.
- XXVII. Thomas Kemmis: born 14th. May 1837: of Shaen and Straboe: of Ballyadams which he subsequently sold; patron of Oregan: J.P. for Queen's Co. 10th. March 1859; D.L., and in 1860 High Sheriff, for same Co.: married 1st. June 1858, Victoria Alexandrina, daughter of Hans Henry Hamilton Esq. of Fitzwiliam Place, Dublin, M.A. Trinity College, Dublin, Q.C., Chairman of Quarter Sessions for Co. Armagh, Assistant Barrister for Co. Galway (by Augusta, daughter of Sir Frederick Wetherall G.C.H.) Issue.
- 1. Thomas Henry, born 11th July 1860: Lieutenant in H. M. 7th. Regiment of Foot 1st. July 1881, retired a Captain 12th. November 1889; served in Regiment of Imperial Light Horse in South African War 1899-1900: married 17th. November 1904 Mary Carloine, eldest daughter of the late Charles Stewart Trench Esq. of Clay Hill, Va., USA and niece of Captain Trench, D.L. of Glenmalyre, Queen's Co.
- 2. Augusta Mary.
- 3. A daughter, born 1862, died young.
Footnotes to Kemmis of Shaen
- (60) Hanaper Receipt Books. Publ. Record Office, Dublin.
- (60a) J. P. Warrants. Publ. Record Office, Dublin.
- (61) At British Museum.
- (62) This deed of assignment, embodying particulars of the previous lease, was registered in the Deeds Office Dublin in 1742. Ref: 105, 303, 740 18
- (62a) Letter of Henry Kemmis Esq. Q.C.
- (63) The particulars of Colonel Edward Jones' Regiment are taken from - War Office, Sec. of States Entry Books 1708-15, Public Record Office, London; - List of half pay Officers 1714, edited by Chas. Dalton. - M.S. Army List 1722, Vol. V. Public Record Office, London ("army" Index Book). - Acts of Parliament 1749, British Museum; Military Accounts, Public Record Office, Dublin.
- (64) Colonel Edward Jones was a Welshman who settled in Co. Wexford - probably at Ballycanew, 4 miles south of Gorey. Previous to raising his Regiment in 1708, he was Lt. Colonel in Brigadier General Whettham's Regiment which was stationed in Ireland at that date.
- (64a) Reg. General's Account Book. Public Record Office, Dublin
- (65b) Of the lands of Rossnaclonagh and Monabegg (vide infra).
- (65) At this period Alexander Fitzgerald was living at Straboe, adjoining Shaen. He was the son of Thomas Fitzgerald of Queen's Co. by a daughter of Sir .... Byrne Bart: of Timogue and Shaen, and had married a daughter of Euseby Stratford of Corbally Queen's Co. This lady was a grand niece, by marriage, of Diana Baisly, née Kemeys the only daughter of Nicholas Kemeys (XX) of Ferns (see which branch); and she was therefore a third cousin of Thomas Kemmis'. It may thus be conjectured that Thomas Kemmis' settling at Shaen originated through this connection. On his death the latter appointed Alexander Fitzgerald one of the Trustees of his will.
- (65a) Kemmis V Cole Fitzgerald and or's. Exchequer Lists 1738. Publ. Record Office, Dublin.
- (65b) From this period the Irish branch of the Family has universally adopted this spelling of their surname.
- (66) The counterpart of this lease is now in the possession of Thomas Kemmis Esq., the present owner of Shaen.
- (67) As mentioned in his marriage settlement of that date.
- (68) Vide letter of his grandson Henry Kemmis, Q.C.
- (69) And previous to 4th. March 1758, the date of his son Wm. Edward's birth.
- (70) His son William, who died 7th November 1848.
- (71) Vide inscription on his tombstone.
- (72) In 1820, Wm. Long held Derrynaseera of Thos. Kemmis at a yearly rent of £298. 3s. 3d.
- (72a) At Public Record Office, Dublin.
- (73) Vide inscription on her tombstone.
- (75) This half length portrait of General Kemmis in uniform is at Ballinacor.
- (76) "Gentleman's Magazine" Vol. 81, part 1., p. 659.
- (77) Ibid. Vol. 78, p. 833.
- (78) Ibid. Vol. 81, part 1, p. 669.
- (79) "History of Orders of Knighthood of the British Empire" by Sir N. H. Nicolas, Vol. IV., see also, "Gentleman's Magazine, Vol. 80, part 2, p. 285. Mention is made of General Kemmis in Napier's "Peninsular War".
- (80) Gentleman's Magazine, Vol. 80, part 1, page 677.
- (81) In consequence of this marriage the Rev. Wm. Betty prefixed Kemmis to his surname, whence the present family of Kemmis-Betty.
- (82) Portrait at Ballinacor.
- (82a) On the South side of the street.
- (83) Francis Rawdon, Earl of Moira, afterwards Marquis of Hastings conveyed these lands to John Wedgewood.
- (84) He built the wall round Shaen about 1810.
- (85) It would appear that he obtained the lease in 1792.
- (86) Liber Munerum Publicorum Hiberniae, Vol. 1, part iii, page 52 r.
- (87) Portrait at Ballinacor.
- (88) "Gentleman's Magazine", Vol. 80, part 2, p. 291.
- (89) "Alumni Oxonienses" by Rev. Andrew Clarke, M.A.
- (90) "Graduati Cantabrigienses" by Jos. Romilly, M.A.
- (91) "Alumni Oxonienses".
Beginning of Document
Table of Contents
Kemeys of Bertholey
Kemmis of Port Philip
John L. & Irene Kemmis